Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Weekend Wars

The song "Weekend Wars" is by MGMT. They were formerly called "The Management" but shortened it to MGMT (it isn't an acronym). I got to know this song by listening to a ton of Pandora radio, and it is one of my favorites. The lyrics are a little trippy and hard to interpret, but I think this song is about someone who rejects change. This is someone who doesn't do much of anything and lives entirely for the weekend. The message in this song is probably that there are negative effects to being idle youth (young people who don't go to work or school).

One part of the song that supports this is when it says, "Was I too lazy to bathe/or paint or write or try to make a change". This shows that the speaker in the song is not very productive. They also don't seem to put the effort into being creative. 
Another part of the song that supports my claim is towards the middle when it says, "it's difficult to win unless you're bored/and you might have to plan for the weekend wars". The writers of the song want the listeners to know that the weekend wars are a sort of ritual for unproductive people. At the end of the song it says, "there's a reason I don't win/I don't know how to begin". I think this is one of the more important quotes in the song. This is an important detail because the speaker realizes his idleness has a negative effect, yet still seems to continue to participate in the "weekend wars" which most likely have something to do with drugs, alcohol, partying, etc. All of these quotes support my theory that "Weekend Wars" is a commentary on idle youth.

This message is an important one to share with teens. Being idle has many drawbacks. Never doing anything creative can diminish quality of life. Excessive drugs and alcohol can also seriously damage opportunities and chances. The song is about living only for the weekends and never doing anything, and it certainly doesn't reflect well on this type of lifestyle.

There are near infinite ways to interpret the lyrics to a song; comment of your take of the lyrics provided below:
WEEKEND WARS LYRICS

5 comments:

  1. Nice post! It's an interesting song that you're talking about and I agree that being idle doesn't have many positive points. Though being unproductive for a little while is ok (ex. Summer Holiday), being idle for too long has its major issues. Anyway, I like your opinion, awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wel written post Grace! Even though I have never heard the song before, I think, you did a good job responding! You were able to pull somewhat complex lines and infer what they mean! I also think that there are negative affects to being idle youth. I think that doing nothing, especially when your young, will affect your life when you get older as well! I think you did a very nice job responding.
    - Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! I read the lyrics and I agree with your interpretation. I also think that the line, "Giving us time to make the makeshift bombs," supports your theme. It means that not doing anything not only makes you lazy, it gives you time to do bad things that you shouldn't be doing. The song is really complex so it's impressive how much you could pull from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Grace! a lot of song lyrics seem to have complicated meanings-i looked at this song, but it was kind of hard to pull something out of it, you did a really good job! i think that there are often multiple meaning behind song lyrics, and this was a really good interpretation. I agree with you that not being productive when you are young has a lot of drawbacks. if you just do nothing in high school, and you go to an okay college, then you have set an unstable foundation for the rest of you life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a hella important lesson for teens! ABOVE THE INFLUENCE!!!!!! BE IT Y'ALLS!
    Also, I totally agree with you. This kid is a party-animal something fierce, and he needs to wake up and see all the beauty in life and all that cheesy junk that rings with cheesy truth. I've seen kids who do drugs, and their life seems to deteriorate. Deteriorate isn't a good word...more like plummet. It happens fast, but they're too busy being drunk or high to see. It's really quite sad, all that wasted potential. But I will be a clean teen, and I hope you all will do the same.

    ReplyDelete